Have you or a loved one been recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)? Newly diagnosed patients may feel restricted, incapable, or hopeless. However, that does not have to be the case! Challenge yourself with this quiz to explore how you can live a full life with RA.
1. Only elderly people are diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.
2. Which of the following statements about exercise and arthritis is true?
a. Exercise has to be intense to do any good — no pain, no gain.
b. Many people with arthritis are too old to exercise.
c. Patients have to exercise every day to get any benefit.
d. Just about anyone with arthritis can benefit from light, easy workouts.
3. Exercising during a flare-up will only make symptoms worse.
4. The best diet to help with symptoms for rheumatoid arthritis is:
a. Sticking to plant-based foods: Vegan/vegetarian
b. Low-carb diet: keto
c. Balanced diet: fruits, veggies, whole grains, and healthy fats
d. Intermittent Fasting: eating whatever you want, but set a determined eating window
5. Managing day-to-day symptoms can be challenging. The best way to deal with getting daily tasks done is:
a. Hire someone or ask a friend to complete tasks around the house and run errands for you.
b. Push through flare-ups and symptoms to get the tasks done. Mind over matter.
c. Take it day-by-day, find shortcuts, and use assistive devices when needed.
d. Completely rearrange your entire life to fully accommodate your condition, even if it means giving up household chores or tasks that you enjoy.
6. Wanderlusters, beware! Traveling with RA is nearly impossible.
7. Which of the following could be a sign that you may be over-exerting yourself?
a. Pain that lingers more than an hour after exercise.
b. Swelling in a joint
d. All of the above.