When to Get Tested
If you have a cold that’s sticking around longer than usual, it’s possible that you could be sneezing and having a runny nose due to an allergen and not a cold.
These are other times you should consider seeing an allergist, even if you have a full stock of Benadryl on hand:
- Your experience chronic sinus infections or nasal congestion
- You experience hay fever or other allergy symptoms for long periods of time
- You find little relief from antihistamines and over-the-counter medications
- Your allergies make day-to-day activities more difficult
- You think you may have asthma, but have not been diagnosed
- You have difficulty breathing
- You experience wheezing or coughing at night or during exercise
- You often feel short of breath or tightness in your chest.
- You have been diagnosed with asthma, consistently taking your asthma medication, but still have frequent asthma attacks
Schedule an appointment with an allergist if you’re experiencing any of these symptoms.