heat up on medium high heat the EVOO and the brown sugar. This step is important as you need to watch the sugar dissolve & melt until it is this golden brown color. This will take roughly 3-4 minutes but you cannot let it burn!
3. Once the sugar is melted and in the beginning stages of the caramelization phase add in your chicken pieces, 4 at a time, brown them on each side for 4 minutes each until golden brown! Remember you are not fully cooking the chicken.
4. Remove the chicken, set aside.
5. In the same pan, add your chopped onions, garlic, ginger, red pepper, green onions and thyme. Saute for about 3 minutes.
5. Add in the soy sauce, hot sauce & ketchup. Stir together. Be sure to taste this mixture before adding in the chicken to make sure it is seasoned enough to your liking. (I really like the sweet and savory aspect so I added a little more brown sugar to this to make the sweetness stand out)
6. Add in the two cups of water, stir together.
7. Add in the chicken, be sure each piece of chicken is equally covered with the water. Let it simmer for about 30-40 minutes until the chicken is tender enough were it is falling off the bone.
8. Serve over rice!
CHEERS TO EATING!