The Healthiest Ways To Fly With Your Family
(BlackDoctor.org) — Traveling with your family can be a great opportunity for some healthy fun…or a complete health disaster.
You May Also Like
The difference? Looking beyond appearances.
Despite the appearance of most airports–a plethora of fast foods, snacks and lots of sitting around–flights and airports offer plenty of nutritious food and opportunity for activity, if you know where to look.
• Make sure everyone eats a healthy meal before you arrive. You’ll be less likely to munch on high-calorie snacks just because they’re around or you’re bored.
• If eating in an airport, it’s worth it to spend the time searching out healthy foods. Look for salads, fresh fruit, vegetable-based soups, and baked chicken.
• While trekking through the airport, take every opportunity for extra movement. Use the stairs, pass on the people movers and carry your own luggage.
• Instead of sitting around before boarding the plane, use the time to walk. You’ll arrive early enough to fit in 15-20 minutes of walking, so take advantage of it. After all, you’re about to sit for an entire flight.
You May Also Like
• Call the airline 48 hours in advance to see if a meal is offered. Typical in-flight dinners can have as many calories (more than 1,000) as a fast food meal, and even more fat! Special order a diabetic, low-fat, vegetarian, child, or religious meal.
• Or, pack your own lunches to ensure you all get exactly what you want.
• Flying can easily dehydrate you, so drink plenty of water. Drinking one cup per hour in-flight will ward off dehydration and jetlag.
• It’s OK to get up and walk through the aisles a few times when you are feeling antsy during a long flight. Allow your kids to do the same (but not so much that it bothers the other passengers.
To read the complete article, visit Black Atlas.