For emotional support:
- Spend a few moments every day talking to your loved one about their feelings.
- Be supportive by letting them know it’s OK to feel the way they feel – do not talk them out of their feelings.
- If your loved one expresses the desire to talk to a counselor or spiritual leader, don’t discourage them. Help them find the best person to speak with about their feelings.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Make a list of things you need help with such as grocery shopping or housecleaning.
- Make sure you take the time out to exercise and eat healthy when you’re on break from caregiving.
- It’s possible that you may feel anxiety or grief yourself in the situation. Don’t hesitate to speak with a physician or therapist, or join a support group so you aren’t feeling alone in your caregiving.