Oftentimes in the Black community you will hear the phrase, “Black don’t crack!” This does hold some truth, but for some people aging isn’t always as pleasant. Reality is, both men and women age – it’s natural. This doesn’t mean we become less attractive or need to spend thousands of dollars getting cosmetic makeovers. If you want to knock a few years off your image, try these simple yet effective methods.
1. Maintain your hair! Switching up your hairstyle can restore your look. Regardless if you’re natural, wear weaves/extensions, wigs or even fades: proper hair care will always be essential. Keep your hair moisturized. If you’re bald, be sure to take care of your scalp. Take the proper steps to prevent razor bumps and ingrown hair.
2. Use gentle, moisturizing facial cleansers. This goes hand and hand with staying hydrated. Drinking water will always help with clarity and skin hydration.
3. If you’re prone to facial hair: Manage it! Men, keep your face neatly trimmed or shaven clean. Nose hairs matter, too, and it’s totally painless to trim them. Women, whether pre- or post-menopause, try threading or waxing. If both methods are too painful, laser removal is also an option, but it’s just more costly. Also ladies, don’t neglect those brows. A thicker eyebrow can make your appearance more youthful.
4. Maintain your smile with healthy teeth. Brushing, flossing and using mouthwash are all factors in a good tooth-care routine. There are tons of DIY teeth whiting methods you can try as well.
5. Wear clothes that flatter your body shape. Trends are constantly changing for both men and women. Ladies: wearing a “bodycon” dress isn’t always the solution to looking younger. Next time you’re in your favorite boutique ask the sales assistant to help pick out a few pieces. You might be pleasantly surprised with what they come back with. Men: We know you have less variety to pick from. If you’re looking to revamp your look start with studying a few magazines. Stay up to speed with what colors and patterns that match. Asking a sales assistant will also be beneficial for you.
Visit the BlackDoctor.org Healthy Aging center for more articles.