…aware that heart disease was the No. 1 killer, while only 38 percent of African-American women and 34 percent of Latina women knew of this.
African-American women are also greater risks for heart attacks, in part due to earlier exposure to such risk factors as high blood pressure and diabetes.
Here are a number of other unsettling stats:
- Cardiovascular diseases kill nearly 50,000 African-American women annually.
- Of African-American women ages 20 and older, 49 percent have heart diseases.
- Only 1 in 5 African-American women believes she is personally at risk.
- Only 52 percent of African-American women are aware of the signs and symptoms of a heart attack.
- Only 36 percent of African-American women know that heart disease is their greatest health risk.
For more about heart disease, click here.