Recipe Remix: Vegetarian MeatLoaf
Looking for a hearty, high in protein and fiber meal without all the fat? I get it – the name of this dish sounds absurd. However, this dish offers the same nutrients as the real thing, except without the meat, and it is just as tasty, too! So if you are in the mood and want to test your creative cooking skills, add this recipe to your cookbook.
LIKE BlackDoctor.org on Facebook! Get Your Daily Medicine…For LIFE!
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of lentils
- 1 small diced onion
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese or ¾ cup Swiss cheese, cheese or ¾ cup Monterey jack chest or ¾ cup American cheese
- 1 beaten egg
- 4 ½ ounces spaghetti sauce or ½ ounces of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Add salt to water and boil in a saucepan.
- Add lentils and simmer covered 25-30 minutes, until lentils are soft and most of water is evaporated.
- Remove from fire.
- Drain and partially mash lentils.
- Scrape into mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Stir in onion, oats and cheese until mixed
- Add egg, tomato sauce, garlic, basil, parsley, seasoning salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Spoon into loaf pan that has been generously sprayed with Pam (non-stick cooking spray) or well-greased
- Smooth top with back of spoon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30- 45 minutes until top of loaf is dry, firm and golden
- Cool in pan on rack for about 10 minutes.
- Run a sharp knife around edges of pan then turn out loaf onto serving platter.
Visit the BlackDoctor.org Healthy Recipes center for more articles.