a person is underweight and may need to put on a few pounds. They may want to seek medical advice from a doctor or see a dietitian.
A BMI of 18.5-24.9 indicates that a person is at a healthy weight for their height. This will help lower the risk of developing serious health problems. A BMI of 25-29.9 indicates that the person is slightly overweight. A doctor or dietitian may advise one to lose weight for health reasons.
CHECK THIS: What’s The Link Between BMI & Diabetes Risk? With Dr. James R. Gavin
When the BMI is over 30 that indicates that a person is heavily overweight. Their health may be at risk if weight loss is not addressed. With this being the case, the following can occur:
1. High blood pressure can increase. Blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase.
2. It lowers the HDL (high-density lipoproteins) or good cholesterol
3. Diabetes and other health problems can occur
4. Type 2 diabetes can occur
7. Sleep apnea
8. Some forms of cancers (breast and colon cancer)
A child or teenager should monitor their BMI as well. When they carry extra weight, it can affect