It can be tricky to eat well with ulcerative colitis. The wrong foods can set off painful flares. Along with keeping a list of the foods you can eat, it helps to have some go-to recipes. That way you’ll know what’s safe for you to eat even if you need to replace some ingredients.
Five Recipes You Need To Try
Breakfast Muffins – makes 12 muffins
- 1½ cup of flour of your choice
- ½ to ¾ cup of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp of melted unsalted butter or vegetable oil
- 1 cup of milk or yogurt (other options include unsweetened almond milk or lactose-free milk)
- 1 egg or (for a vegan option, use half a banana, mashed)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup of frozen berries or fruit ( raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, apples, or peaches)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease the muffin cups then set them aside.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a bowl then set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the melted butter or oil, dairy product (or alternative), egg (or banana), and vanilla extract. Pour on dried ingredients then mix together.
- Add the frozen fruits then pour into the muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes.
2. Fish Burgers
Ingredients – to make 5 salmon patties
- 1 14.75 oz canned salmon
- 1 egg
- ½ cup gluten-free breadcrumbs or white breadcrumbs if you prefer
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix ingredients together in a bowl.
- Shape into patties.
- Add oil to a skillet over medium heat and cook for several minutes on each side, until browned.
3. Healthy Noodles – makes two servings
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp natural smooth peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 8 oz (1 block) extra firm organic tofu
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cups of frozen veggies like Asian-style mixed carrots, green beans, bell pepper, and water chestnuts (canned carrots or string beans are options)
- 1 can of baby corn, rinsed (optional)
- 6 oz of rice noodles
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut tofu into cubes.
- Whisk together the first 5 ingredients and toss with tofu. Spread tofu out on a lined baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes
- Cook rice noodles according to package instructions
- Heat 2 tsp sesame oil in a large pan and sauté vegetables until tender
- Split noodles between 2 bowls, and top with veggies, tofu, and cilantro
4. Chili Shrimp Tacos – makes 4 servings
- 1 lb. medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 oz. fresh tomatillos, peeled and halved
- 1 ripe avocado, divided
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- ½ medium jalapeño, seeded (optional)
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 3 Tbsp. thinly sliced green onion
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 8 (6-in.) corn tortillas, warmed