Carl Anthony Payne: Using Laughter As Medication
Carl Anthony Payne is best known for his role as “Cole Brown” on the Fox network TV series Martin and his recurring role as Theo Huxtable’s best friend Cockroach on the NBC series The Cosby Show. Payne also played Reynaldo St. James on the BET series The Game and the super music producer L.A. Reid in a BET miniseries
You May Also Like
With two of his main roles being on shows that are heavily syndicated worldwide, Payne gets a lot of feedback from fans. “Entertainment is the way people have gotten through rough times like the great depression. I get so many messages from people who tell me ‘Man, you don’t know how your character helped me get through stuff'”.
It is because of comments like those and his religious background that Payne decided to pay it forward. Every year, his company makes it a mission to provide as many people in need so they target the homeless in Atlanta who may have depression or mental issues.
“I do a lot of outreach to the homeless and I guarantee that there is a lot more people who are unaccounted for who suffer from depression. But doing something for them is better than doing nothing,” explains Payne.
Here are a few facts about Depression & Suicide:
– Of the estimated 17.5 million Americans who are affected by some form of depression, 9.2 million have major or clinical depression
– Two-thirds of people suffering from depression do not seek necessary treatment
– 80% of all people with clinical depression who have received treatment significantly improve their lives
– The economic cost of depression is estimated at $30.4 billion a year but the cost in human suffering cannot be estimated
– Women experience depression about twice as often as men
– By the year 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that depression will be the number two cause of “lost years of healthy life” worldwide
– Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for 15 to 24-year-olds and 2nd for 24 to 35-year-olds.
– On average, 1 person commits suicide every 16.2 minutes.
– Each suicide intimately affects at least 6 other people.
You May Also Like
Now, at age 50, Payne says, “Let’s understand that a lot of comedians comedy comes from pain. They also are playing characters…