Recipe Remix: Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken
Brown stew chicken is a flavorful, traditional Jamaican dish. It is usually served with rice and peas, sliced tomatoes / avocado and fried ripe plantain. If you cut the chicken into very small pieces, you’ll need to reduce the cooking times. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 1 Minutes
Cook time: 1 Minutes
– 3lbs Chicken, cut in pieces and skin removed
– Chicken Seasonings:
– 2 tsp Salt
– 1/2 tsp Black pepper
– 2 tsp Sugar
– 3 Large cloves garlic, minced
– 1 cup fresh lime juice (lime juice is the key
– 1 cup chopped scallions
– 1/2 cup Cooking oil (for frying chicken)
– 1 Large onion, chopped
– 1/4 each, Red and Green bell pepper, chopped
– 1 Sprig of thyme or 1 tsp dried
– 1 tsp Pepper sauce
– 1 Tbsp Tomato ketchup
– 2 cups Hot water
– 1 tsp salt (to taste)–
1. Season chicken with salt, black pepper, sugar, garlic and scallion (green onion) and lime juice. Marinate the chicken for at least one hour before frying.
2. Remove scallion from chicken and, on High heat, Lightly brown the chicken on both sides a few pieces at a time in the hot oil. Once chicken is browned, place chicken on a plate to rest while you brown the remaining pieces. Remove chicken from pan.
3. Remove half the cooking oil in pan and use remaining oil to fry onions and bell peppers until onions are transparent.
4. Add thyme, hot pepper sauce, tomato ketchup and 1 cup of hot water to pan and stir; taste gravy and add 1 tsp of salt, if needed; let simmer for 5 minutes.