The next thing you can use is Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). It is an antimicrobial agent that helps manage your condition. Follow these steps below.
- Mix 1 tbs of ACV with ½ of water.
- Then dip cotton balls into the solution, apply to the affected area for two minutes.
- Repeat twice a day.
4. Hydrogen Peroxide Wash
Now, I never thought to use hydrogen peroxide, but it is shown to get rid of bacteria and fungi that folliculitis can cause. You can find hydrogen in any local store or pharmacy, such as Walmart.
Please remember to avoid using this solution on healthy skin. You do not want to kill healthy bacteria. This remedy can be followed in three straightforward steps.
- First, you can dilute the hydrogen with clean sterile water or just use it directly as is.
- Next, apply to the affected area with a clean cotton ball. A spray bottle can be used for large areas.
- Lastly, you let the area dry and reapply as needed.
5. Benzoyl Peroxide
This is a wash solution that I was prescribed by my dermatologist. It is used to treat acne. You can obtain one by going to see a dermatologist or you can buy one OTC in the beauty aisle of a store such as Walmart or Safeway.
If you decide to use it, please follow the directions labeled on the bottle. However, my wash works like this:
- First, wash the affected area with soap and warm water. I usually apply mine while in the shower, so this is simple to do.
- Then once the area is clean, shake the bottle and pour a dime size onto your finger.
- Then apply to the area for a minute by rubbing it in.
- Then rinse with water and pat dry when you are done. Use twice daily.
In the end, folliculitis needs to be taken seriously and these tips above will help you treat and manage your condition the best way possible especially if you are still shaving and/or waxing. The benefits of these tips are they are things you might already have at home or if you need to buy, they are inexpensive to purchase. This is great especially now with the holidays upon us. However, if you are looking to fully prevent this from happening again, then you should investigate Laser Hair Removal.