Timeless Caramel Apples
(BlackDoctor.org) — Very few treats capture the richness and fun of fall quite like the classic caramel apple. And while it’s definitely an indulgence, crisp apples dipped in not-quite-as-much caramel is the easy and healthier way to share in this timelessly sweet seasonal tradition.
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cook time:10 minutes
– 2 pounds of apples (preferably lady apples or tart apples)
– 1 pound caramel squares
– 10 wooden sticks–
1. Wash and completely dry apples. Place stick into the top of each apple.
2. Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.
3. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the caramels with 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water. Cook until smooth, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. While the caramel is hot, dip the apples in, swirling to coat evenly. Let the excess caramel drip off and place the apples on the lined baking sheet. Place in the refrigerator to harden, about 1 hour.