½ cup raw honey
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
½ tsp fresh orange zest
⅛ tsp sea salt
1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp ground ground cinnamon
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
2 cups raw pecans
1 pie crust
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine raw honey, coconut oil, eggs, fresh orange zest, sea salt, unsweetened almond milk, ground cinnamon, pure vanilla extract, and whole wheat pastry flour. Stir to combine.
- Arrange the raw pecans into the prepared 9-inch pie crust.
- Pour the liquid filling mixture over the pecans, spreading some with a spoon if necessary.
- Place into the oven and bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- The pie will rise in the oven. You’ll know it’s done when it has small cracks in the top and is no longer jiggly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool, preferably overnight.
The Healthy Side Of Pecan Pie
Pecans are a great source of protein and fiber. They also have healthy fats – including omega-3 fatty acids that help to reduce inflammation in the body. Studies also show that pecans can help with diabetes management, arthritis pain, and immune system support. Using the recipe above will add the health benefits of honey and coconut oil as well. These include a reduced risk of heart disease and better gut health.