For flu-like symptoms:
- Take an over-the-counter medication such as acetaminophen (pain killer) or ibuprofen before each injection and as needed while the symptoms last — with a doctor’s approval of course.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Get sufficient rest.
- Avoid strong sunlight and bright indoor lights to prevent headache.
- For body aches, apply moist heat.
- Talk to your doctor about whether taking an antidepressant throughout treatment is right for you.
- Avoid caffeine if you’re feeling anxious or irritable.
- Exercise regularly.
- Consult with your doctor about scheduling interferon injections for days when you can take it easy.
- Cut back on work hours, if possible.
- Nap during the day.
- To increase your alertness and promote better sleep, take a walk.
- Drink a caffeinated beverage in the morning.
- If depression is a factor, consider therapy or medication.
For more information on hepatitis C symptoms, treatments, and stats, click here.