At the height of the pandemic where hand sanitizer is nearly a necessity in many Americans’ lives, there is now a nationwide recall of almost 19,000 bottles of hand sanitizer over concerns the mixture contains methanol.
The Food and Drug Administration announced Monday the company ITECH361 is recalling their All Clean Hand Sanitizer, Moisturizer and Disinfectant sold in one-liter bottles. The 18,940 recalled bottles have UPC Code 628055370130.
If this recall sounds familiar, it’s because it is. Last month, the FDA warned people about sanitizer from the manufacturer Eskbiochem SA de CV in Mexico Because of possible methanol concerns.
While certain quantities of alcohol are necessary in hand sanitizers — the FDA and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend using products that contain at least 60% ethanol alcohol — methanol isn’t comparable to other agents often used in sanitizers. Birnur Aral, PhD, the director of the health, beauty, and environmental sciences lab in the Good Housekeeping Institute, says that absorbing methanol through your skin can lead to “nausea, vomiting, blurred vision, blindness, coma, and even death” when used frequently. “Methanol metabolizes in the body through formation of formaldehyde (a known carcinogen); it converts into formic acid in the body, which can cause histotoxic hypoxia and acidosis.”
So, which hand sanitizers are toxic?
The FDA is continually updating its warning list of National Drug Code registry numbers (NDC numbers) for hand sanitizers containing or testing positive for traces of methanol. You’ll be pleased to know that there isn’t a major brand on this list — but it’s good to check your bottle to quell any concerns. As of July 6, the FDA’s recall list includes:
- Grupo Insoma’s Hand Sanitizer Gel Unscented 70% Alcohol (with multiple NDC numbers).
- Transliquid Technologies’ Mystic Shield Protection Hand Sanitizer (with multiple NDC numbers).
- Soluciones Cosmeticas SA de CV’s Bersih Hand Sanitizer Gel Fragrance Free (with multiple NDC numbers).
- Soluciones Cosmeticas SA de CV’s Antiseptic Alcohol 70% Topical Solution Hand Sanitizer
- Tropicosmeticos SA de CV’s Britz Hand Sanitizer Ethyl Alcohol 70% (with multiple NDC numbers).
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)…list continues on next page