Savory Triple-Corn Grits
Delicious and healthy, this vegan side dish, topped with sautéed fresh corn and onions, is perfect for your next Southern-style brunch or barbecue.
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook time:45 minutes
– 1/2 cup raw cashews
– 1 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt , divided, plus more for seasoning
– 2 large ears fresh sweet corn , kernels scraped
– 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
– 1 large yellow onion , diced
– 1 tsp. ground cumin
– 2 cloves garlic , minced
– 1/2 cup cornmeal
– 1/2 cup stone-ground grits–
Freshly ground white pepper
1. Soak cashews in water overnight; drain. In a blender, combine cashews, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup water; blend until smooth. Set aside.
2. Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Turn off heat, add corn kernels, and let sit for 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
3. In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, warm the oil; add onion, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook until softened, about 2 minutes more. Set aside half of onion mixture in a small bowl. Add reserved corn to pan and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Set aside.