First Lady Food: Michelle Obama’s Garden Salad Bowl With Chicken
First Lady Michelle Obama was joined by local DC students for this year’s Fall White House Kitchen Garden Harvest. Following the harvest, Mrs. Obama and students prepared a tasty lunch with the vegetables that were harvested.
Be sure to try out her recipe for Kitchen Garden Salad Bowl with Zesty Chicken, Quinoa, and Farro at home!
Prep Time:1 Minutes
Cook time:1 Minutes
– 2 cups kale, washed, thinly sliced
– 2 cups lettuces, washed, spun dry and cut into bite sized pieces
– ½ cup radishes, washed, sliced thinly
– 2 cups carrots, washed, peeled and grated
– 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
– 1 cup micro lettuces, washed, spun dry
– 2 cups eggplant, diced into ½ inch cubes
– 2 cups sweet potatoes, diced into ½ inch cubes
– 2 cups beans, cut into 2 inch length
– 2 cups pepper, cut into ½ inch cubes
– ¼ cup olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste– –
– 6 skinless chicken breast (you can also substitute grilled salmon)
– 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
– 1 tsp garlic, minced
– 1 Tbsp parsley, chopped finely
– For the quinoa and farro:– 1 cup white quinoa
– 1 cup red quinoa
– 1 cup farro
– Salt to taste–
– ½ cup lemon juice
– ½ cup rice wine vinegar
– 1 Tbsp ginger, peeled and minced– 1 Tbsp shallot, minced
– 2 tsp Dijon mustard
– 2 tsp honey
– ¼ cup grapeseed oil–
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, toss the eggplant, sweet potatoes, beans and pepper with ¼ cup of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place onto a sheet tray and roast for about ten minutes. Set aside to cool.
Combine the 1 cup quinoa and 1 ¾ cups of water in a medium size pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes.