Recipe Remix: Homemade Popeye’s Spicy Fried Chicken
Mmm! Love that chicken from Popeyes! Remember that little jingle you would hear when the commercial came on? Seeing all that mouthwatering crispy chicken would make me hungry and I’d think about getting a three-piece with a biscuit in a hurry! But we all know eating fried foods all the time aren’t good for you, even if they do taste good. So here’s a homemade recipe for Popeye’s Chicken that’s guaranteed to taste like your local fast food joint. And here’s the kicker: it’s healthier for you!
While a mild chicken breast from Popeye’s contains 1,130 milligrams sodium and 420 calories, a spicy chicken breast contains only 760 milligrams. A spicy chicken wing contains less than half the amount of sodium in a mild chicken wing, totaling 290 milligrams and 690 milligrams. But our recipe has 1/3 of the total sodium! And we’ve taken it a step further by also lowered the calories by nearly half! Get your taste buds ready!
Prep Time:2 hours 20 minutes
Cook time:45 minutes
– 8 pieces of chicken (1 full chicken cut into pieces)
– 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
– 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
– 1 teaspoon dry buttermilk (SACO)
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1 teaspoon onion powder
– 1 teaspoon white pepper
– 1⁄2 teaspoon Accent seasoning
– 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
– 1⁄2 teaspoon superfine sugar
– 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1⁄4 teaspoon ground dill seed (not dill weed)
– 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
– 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder–
- Place chicken into a 9 x 13 baking dish; COAT chicken well with contents of one 6-ounce bottle original Louisiana Hot Sauce, rubbing sauce well into skin of chicken.