take close to a dozen pills — but it is certainly beyond the prescribed amount that any healthcare provider would recommend.
According to instructions posted on Benadryl’s website, children between the ages of 6 and 12 should only take one tablet every four to six hours, whereas those older than 12 can take up to two tablets in the same time period; no one taking Benadryl should take more than six doses within 24 hours.
“The maximum dose of Benadryl is about 300mg per day, but obviously this recommendation is lessened with a small child who weighs less [than an adult],” Dr. Perry adds.
Overdose effects to look for
Below is a list of symptoms of a Benadryl overdose in different parts of the body:
BLADDER AND KIDNEYS
- Inability to urinate
EYES, EARS, NOSE, MOUTH, AND THROAT
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Enlarged pupils
- Very dry eyes
- Ringing in the ears
HEART AND BLOOD VESSELS
- Low blood pressure
- Rapid heartbeat
- Convulsions (seizures)
- Increased sleepiness
- Dry, red skin
When you or someone you know has overdosed
Have this information ready:
- Person’s age, weight, and condition (for example, is the person awake or alert?)
- Name of the product (ingredients and strength, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
Call Poison Control for help even if you don’t have this information.
Your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States.
This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.