Did you know that someone you have never met before, is wondering what it would be like to know someone as amazing, beautiful and capable as you? Queen, have you been hiding your light from the world, fearful that it may fall into the wrong hands? Or maybe you give too much and need to find balance. This is your chance to pour into your community and most importantly yourself because you are unable to serve others until you can properly serve yourself.
Black women do so much for others, it’s time for us to get together and enjoy the fruits of our labor and we can do so in ways that encourage, cultivate, support, and reflect our growth.
Save A Girl, Save A World Org, a multigenerational mentoring organization, has partnered with the Dove Crown Act to give 10 students $1000 to create and execute a campaign to celebrate your sister. Here are a few examples:
- An open mic event
- Brunch with your sisters/friends
- Decorate crowns and have a tea party
- Creative writing and journaling session
- A vision board session sharing your dreams
- Self-care giveaways at a table set up on your campus
- A day spa, group massage, or mani & pedi day with a group of ladies
It is suggested that you choose a sub-theme that you are passionate about, for example: beauty, mental health, and self-care are all acceptable if they uplift and empower your sister(s). This is your chance to plan and execute an action or event to celebrate being black, bold, and beautiful. Let’s ignite this momentum to support, grow and inspire others.
Campaign Criteria For Helping A Sister to Fix Her Crown in the simple steps below
- Create a document to brainstorm & create S.M.A.R.T. goals – Ask yourself essential questions like why you want to be your sisters’ keeper. What is your (desired outcome)? What’s your purpose for doing this? What category of events most interest me (beauty, fitness, academic, mental health, etc.)
- Create a template to organize your ideas & plan a calendar – What do you need to complete this? What platform for messaging? What is your timeline? Template examples here.
- Apply online for the campaign budget, prepare & execute – Once your application is confirmed, it’s time for you to talk about it & be about it!
- Document your journey; for example, if you choose to do an event where you and your peers create crowns, you will record yourself going to the store, buying the items, and making the kits you will give out during the event.
- Be sure to keep your receipts and track your spending.
- During the event, record content, ask thought-provoking questions similar to a listening session, do a few 1-on-1s with attendees
- Have You Sisters sign the Crown Act Petition
Tag and use specific hashtags listed in the campaign playbook when posting content.
Click this link if you are ready to uplift and encourage your sisters on campus. You have everything you need to get started, but if you have any questions, Contact [email protected] for additional help with your campaign ideas!
Remember Queen, you become who you surround yourself with. No matter who you are, what you do, and how you may look, you are enough and can do this….the future depends on you!!
Written by Latajah Lassus, Clark Atlanta class of 2022 Psychology Major