Due to a harsh winter storm in the Northeast, 9-year-old Jayline Barbosa Brandao’s home was one of the thousands without power for days.
But don’t let this cute, little 4th grader’s million-dollar smile fool you. She’s smart, savvy and creative all at the same time. That’s something she proved when her life literally depended on it.
Because of the power outage, the Brandão family had been using a generator to power parts of their home, about 20 miles south of Boston. They attempted to use the generator safely, but set it up too close to their home, and the colorless, odorless carbon monoxide gas flooded the house.
The mother told Boston 25 News they thought the generator they were using was in a safe place & they had only used it for short periods of time.
“I thought it was just a headache, then 2-3 minutes I didn’t feel anything after that,” said Brandao’s mother.
“I heard my dad screaming and say my mom passed out,” said Jayline. That’s when the 4th-grader sprang into action.
Staying calm, she grabbed her dad’s phone to call 911.
The problem was that the iPhone was locked, and he was overtaken by the odorless gas.
“So, I unlocked it by using my dad’s face,” said Brandao.
It was a race against time for the whole family. Carbon monoxide inside the home was measured at over 1000 parts per million. It was literally a potentially fatal amount of gas.
If the carbon monoxide concentration in the air is much higher, signs of poisoning may occur within 1-2 hours. A very high carbon monoxide concentration like in Jayline’s case, can even kill an exposed individual within 5 minutes.
In less than three minutes carbon monoxide from the stove, the poisoning becomes fatal.
The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Carbon monoxide symptoms are often described as “flu-like.” If you breathe in a lot of carbon monoxide it can make you pass out and eventually kill you.
Reports of carbon monoxide poisoning often follow dangerous weather events — like in New Orleans after Hurricane Ida and Texas after February’s disastrous winter storm — as people use generators to power their homes after losing connection to the electric grid.
According to CNN, first responders in Brockton responded to