Spring has sprung and a lot of people are looking for lighter ideas for meals. I bring to you a mayo-free chicken salad. In this preparation, we poach the chicken, so that lends to making the chicken salad lighter as well.
LIKE BlackDoctor.org on Facebook! Get Your Daily Medicine…For LIFE!
1 – 2 ½ (3lb) whole chicken
8 to 10 cups water
10 sprigs parsley
1 small onion, halved
1 small carrot, halved
1 stalk celery, halved
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
- Put the chicken parsley, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, black pepper and bay leaf in a large saucepan and place on high heat.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to low and cover.
- Poach the chicken for 40 to 50 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Remove the pan from the heat, uncover and cool the chicken in the liquid for 30 minutes or until cool enough to touch.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and reserve the liquid for stock.
- Remove the skin and pull the meat away from the bones. Discard the skin and bones.
- Strain the stock and store, covered, in the refrigerator for 3 days or freeze for later use. Remove any fat from the surface of the stock before freezing or using.
Grainy Mustard Dressing
Makes 2 cups