When it’s hot outside cool foods and drinks can save the day. Just think about it – who wants to heat up the house by turning on the oven? No one. But wait! There is a silver lining to these dog days of summer. Watermelon is in season! Watermelon is just as nutritious as it is delicious. Comprised of 92 percent water, watermelon is a hydrating food. It is also a low-calorie fruit because it contains only 46 calories per cup. Lastly, it is rich in the free radical fighting antioxidants vitamin C and lycopene.
So, today I am dropping three of my favorite and fabulous ways to use watermelon to your advantage. These recipes promise to be quick and easy because I want you to get back to enjoying this beautiful warm weather (and not be cooped up in the kitchen).
Melon, Mint, and Basil Salad
- 2 cups mixed greens
- ½ cup finely chopped basil
- ½ cup finely chopped mint
- 2 cups of cubed watermelon (seeds removed)
- 1 cup cubed cantaloupe
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Mix the greens and melon in a large bowl. Sprinkle with Kosher salt.
- In a small bowl mix the chopped mint and basil, lime zest, lemon juice, and black pepper.
- Top the salad with the mixture.
- Finish with the grated parmesan.
Adapted from andreascooktales.com