The importance of chicken stock or any stock for that matter is immeasurable. It is the root and foundation to any good soup, sauce or dish. I believe that in order to be a good cook you have to know your basics and this is essential.
Makes 3 quarts
1-2 (3 lb) chickens
2 large yellow onions, unpeeled and quartered
4 carrots, unpeeled and rough chopped
4 stalks celery with top leaves removed and rough chopped
2 bay leaves
1/2 head garlic, unpeeled and cut in half
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- Place the chickens, onions, carrots, celery garlic and bay leaves in a very large pot.
- Add 5 quarts of water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, uncovered, for two hours.
- Strain the entire contents of the pot through a strainer and discard the solids.
Chill the stock overnight.
- Remove excess fat from the top of the stock. Use what is needed and freeze the rest in freezer storage bags.
For more healthy recipes, visit the BlackDoctor.org Healthy Weight Loss center.