Recipe Remix: Pizza On A Stick
Who doesn’t love pizza? But what most of don’t love are the pounds that usually come with eating a slice or two or three of our favorite kind. But no, worries. Here’s a way you can get the pizza taste, without all the pizza calories. It’s pizza on a stick!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Calories: 295 (for two skewers)
1 lb ground turkey, made into 12 meatballs
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 cups whole fresh mushrooms
2 cups cherry tomatoes
1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 6-inch slices of pita bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1-1/4 cups pizza or your favorite marinara sauce, warmed
1. In a skillet, brown the turkey meatballs while dusting them with the italian seasoning.
2. Add onion and green pepper pieces right before it’s done and cover with medium heat for 5-minutes. This will help the onions and green peppers to get soft before popping them in the oven.
3. On the pointy end of each skewer, put mushroom, tomato, onion, pita bread, meatball, green pepper and repeat until full (each skewer should have at least two meatballs and two pieces of pita on it).
4. In a 400 degree oven, place skewers on a cookie sheet and sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Cook for 10 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and slightly bubbling.
5. Let cool for 5 minutes and use the sauce for dipping.
For more breakfast, lunch and dinner recipes, click here.