A recall on pre-cooked frozen shrimp, possibly tainted with salmonella, has expanded.
As of August 13, the Food and Drug Administration is reporting that Avanti Frozen Foods Pvt. Ltd. has agreed to recall additional package sizes and brands of the frozen cooked, peeled, deveined, shrimp, some of which is sold with cocktail sauce.
The Food and Drug Administration released the announcement from Avanti Frozen Foods Pvt. Ltd Friday, which said in part that the company “is voluntarily expanding a prior recall issued on June 25, 2021 to include certain consignments of various sizes of frozen cooked, peeled, deveined, shrimp (with some packaged with cocktail sauce) sold in various unit sizes, because it has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.”
There is concern that consumers may have the frozen shrimp in their homes because of their long shelf life. Some of the recalled shrimp has use-by dates stretching into 2023. The frozen shrimp products were distributed nationwide from November 2020 to May 2021, according to the company’s recall notice posted by the FDA.
“There have been 9 reports of Salmonella-related illness to date associated with these cooked shrimp distributions,” the expanded recall notice says.
Salmonella is bacteria that can pose serious health concerns and cause food poisoning and other diseases in both people and animals. According to the FDA, symptoms of salmonella infection may include abdominal pain, diarrhea, fever, nausea and vomiting. Salmonella infections can in some rare cases also lead to severe illness, such as arthritis, endocarditis (inflammation of the heart) or aneurysms (infections of arteries).
Although many people with salmonella infections can recover within a week, anyone with severe symptoms should seek medical treatment as bacterial spread can be fatal. Those most at risk of more serious salmonella infections include young children under 5, pregnant people, immunocompromised people and older adults.
The recall affects shrimp products sold in Target, Whole Foods, Food Lion, Miejer and more. Please look at your packages for these labels:
▪ Ahold, Frozen Cooked Peeled and Deveined Tail On Shrimps IQF, 1-pound bags, lot Nos. AQ-23-2950-1, AQ-23-2960-1, AQ-23-3380-1, AQ-23-3390-1, AQ-23-3520-1 and AQ-23-3530-1 with expiration dates 10/21/2022, 10/22/2022, 12/03/2022, 12/04/2022, 12/17/2022 and 12/18/2022.
Also, 2-pound bags, AQ-23-2930-1, AQ-23-2940-1, AQ-23-3180-1, AQ-23-3200-1, AQ-23-3450-1 and AQ-23-3470-1 with expiration dates 10/19/2022, 10/20/2022, 11/13/2022, 11/15/2022, 12/10/2022 and 12/12/2022.
▪ Big River Frozen Cooked Peeled and Deveined Tail Off Shrimps IQF, 2-pound bags, lot Nos. 10.02.2022, 10.03.2022, 10.05.2022 with expiration dates the same as the lot numbers.
▪ Censea, Frozen Cooked Peeled and Deveined Tail Off Shrimps IQF, 2-pound bags, lot Nos. 140323D, 140324D, 140325D, 140326D, 140329D, 140330D, 140331D and 140332D with expiration dates 11/18/2022, 11/19/2022, 11/20/2022, 11/21/2022, 11/24/2022, 11/25/2022, 11/26/2022 and 11/27/2022.
▪ Chicken of the Sea, Frozen Cooked Peeled and Deveined Tail On Shrimps IQF with Cocktail Sauce, 16-ounce bags, lot Nos. 91AS/12HN/195C, 91AS/13HN/196A, 91AS/26YN/270C and 91AS/27YN/271B with expiration dates 10/11/2022, 10/12/2022, 12/25/2022 and 12/26/2022.
Also, Frozen Cooked Peeled and Deveined Tail Off Shrimps IQF, 2-pound bags, lot Nos. 91AS/07TP/282B with expiration date 01/06/2023.
▪ CWNO Brand, Frozen Cooked Peeled and Deveined Tail On Shrimps IQF, 7-pound bag, lot Nos. 91AS/08YN/252D, 91AS/10YN/254A, 91AS/13YN/257D, 91AS/14YN/258C, 91AS/21YN/265A and 91AS/22YN/266A with expiration dates 03/08/2022, 03/10/2022, 03/13/2022, 03/14/2022, 03/21/2022 and 03/22/2022.
▪ First Street, Frozen Cooked Peeled and Deveined Tail On Shrimps IQF, 2-pound, lot Nos. 1879-03291 and 1879-03301 with expiration dates 11/23/2022 and 11/24/2022.
▪ Food Lion, Frozen Cooked Peeled and Deveined Tail On Shrimps IQF, 1-pound bag, lot