It’s been exactly five years since comedian Lavell Crawford shared his incredible weight loss story.
Funnyman Lavell Crawford has always been a big guy. But this big guy has been making us crack up and fall out laughing for 20+ years. From comedy clubs to shows and movies like Breaking Bad and Netflix’s Ridiculous 6, Lavell is the go to man for funny jokes including jokes about his weight.
But now, taking a look at his family life and goals, Levell is no longer laughing, but decided to do something about it. On a recent interview with Sway In the Morning, Lavell explained why and how he went about losing nearly 120 pounds.
“For all big folks out there, I’m gonna keep it real. I’m having the gastric sleeve,” admits Crawford. “I’m 47 and I’ve got a beautiful 5-year-old son that I want to be around for. I’ve got a beautiful wife that I want to be here for. I don’t want to leave her hanging.”
Gastric sleeve surgery, also known as the sleeve gastrectomy, has become a popular choice for patients seeking excellent weight loss in a straightforward procedure that doesn’t require the maintenance and long-term complication rates of a Lap Band.
Some benefits of gastric sleeve surgery are:
- Reduction of hunger
- Shorter operating time compared to gastric bypass.
- Does not re-route intestines.
- Reduces the risk of nutrient deficiencies.
- Less daily vitamins are needed after surgery compared to gastric bypass.
- The pylorus remains intact and sugars have time to digest since the intestines remain untouched.
- No adjustments are needed. The Lap Band requires regular adjustments (doctor visits).
- No foreign objects are left in the body. The Lap Band leaves a silicone band around the upper portion of your stomach.
- Weight loss occurs over 18 months. Gastric bypass weight loss is very quick. The majority of weight loss occurs in the first year.
“I’ve got up sugar and I lost 40 pounds. The thing about it is, I’m diabetic and my legs are swelling up from time to time, and blood pressure is a little high. So, I don’t want to anything where one day you’re walking down the street eating a hot dog and you fall out dead and someone says, ‘See, I knew that was going to happen.'”
“When you listen to your wife and your blood pressure, you’ve got to change some things. I’m walking and doing some medical things,” explains Crawford.