Using a crock pot may seem a little bit old school, but actually, it’s really forward-thinking. Here are recipes that you can make that can be prepared while you’re gone and ready when you come back.
Crock Pot Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 6 bell peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 cups rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Cook rice as directed on the package.
- Cut off the tops of six bell peppers. Set aside on a dish to use as lids later.
- Remove seeds and ribs from peppers.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium pan.
- Add 1 chopped medium onion and 1 clove of garlic (minced). Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 pound of ground turkey to the pan, and cook until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Transfer turkey mixture to a large bowl.
- Add 3 cups of cooked rice, 2 teaspoons of thyme, 2 teaspoons of oregano, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, and 2 cups of diced tomatoes.
- Mix gently, and fold in 1/2 cup of parsley.
- Season with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper (to taste).
- In another small bowl, mix 1/2 cup of tomato paste, 2 cups of water, 1/4 cup of lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Mix until sugar dissolves, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place half of the tomato paste mixture in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Stuff peppers with turkey mixture and place upright in the crock pot.
- Spoon the remaining tomato paste on top of the peppers.
- Place pepper lids on each pepper.
- Cook on low for 6 hours (or on high for 2 hours)
Serve and eat!