Valentine’s Day comes and goes, but what about all the other 364 days of the year? However you feel about the day of love, you can use it as a much needed reminder to bask in some self love. In honor of the holiday, Sharita Jennings, trainer and blogger at GetFitLikeThat.com, has 14 healthy ways to love yourself all year long.
1. Write Self-Love Notes. Love notes aren’t just for your special someone. Self-love through affirmations and positive thinking can actually be good for overall health and mental performance. According to psychologist, Carmen Harra, “much like exercise, [affirmations] raise the level of feel-good hormones.” You can practice this by listing out the things you love about yourself in a letter or card. Read it and add to it often!
2. Massage Away the Stress. Stressing out and living a mostly sedentary lifestyle can cause you to hold carry extra tension in your muscles. A deep tissue massage can release tension and help you get moving with less pain!
3. Find Love Outdoors. Your very own city could be home to a beautiful national park or other hidden neighborhood treasures. Check out FindYourPark.com to find a new trail right around the corner.
4. Try a New Workout. This year, you may fall head over heels (hopefully not literally) for a brand new workout. Switching up your sweat sessions can keep you from plateauing and help you reach your very own body goals.
5. Get Dressed Up… For The Gym. Whether or not you have a hot Valentines date this year, you can find a reason to spoil yourself with new clothes. According to Women’s Health, new workout clothes can actually motivate you to workout! So splurge a little to look your best for your next date with the treadmill.